Paraphrasing and direct quoting of Denver Snuffer’s book included below. Used by permission.
Chapter 8 (Christ: The Prototype of the Saved Man)
p. 295 – Christ is affable, but not gregarious. Approachable;
- Patient. Willing to guide, willing to teach;
- Intelligent, but not overbearing;
- Humble, but has undeniable power;
- Lion & the Lamb;
- Quick to forgive sin;
- Allows all to come unto Him;
- Is no respecter of persons.
p. 296 – It is our disrespect for ourselves that impedes coming to Him;
- First thing in His presence, He forgives sins;
- No allowance for sin, but He has the capacity to forgive sin;
- Makes you no longer accountable for your limitations;
- God speaks to us in our language;
- He does not pontificate;
- He is utterly unpretentious.
p. 298 – Day of salvation appears tenuously; Jeremiah 8 “Summer is ended, harvest is past.”
p. 299 – Gospel writers patterned off of Jesus’ expounding. He expounded for Denver.
p. 300 – The Lord does not force Himself upon us, we must invite.
p. 301 – Truth is best advanced by opening the scriptures; prototype scripture in lectures; salvation does not come by applying fairy dust.
p. 302 – We have the freedom to choose because without that we do not exist;
- Man must ascend by degrees and by experience to become like God;
- The church was “true and living” when Joseph presided.
p. 302 – Christ was obedient before the creation of this world, and the creation of this world began when Christ first qualified to redeem it; Christ is salvation.
pp. 302-303 – Joseph Smith expounds on Lecture 7 in Nauvoo; “grace for grace” and “exaltation to exaltation.”
pp. 303-304 – Attaining to the keys of the resurrection to resurrect all that depend upon you.
p. 305 – Our highest glory requires the Gods to condescend; There are higher kingdoms yet.
pp. 305 -308 – The real first principles of the gospel:
- Attaining to the resurrection of the dead;
- becoming gods;
- walking the same path as our Lord walked.
p. 309 – Savior had long period of development before this world; In this life we have capacity to offer sacrifice.
p. 310 – Men become KNOWLEDGE; Women become WISDOM.
pp. 310-311 – Christ needed a woman to be able to accomplish his work.
p. 311 – The role of woman united to man is a mystery wisely not included in our temple rites or scriptures, but only alluded to; Present challenge to get out of this prison is enough.
p. 311 – Receiving grace for grace is a blessing.
pp. 311-312 – Christ received not of the fulness at the first.
p. 312 – Redemption must be certain before there is a Fall.
p. 313 – Scorn and condemnation from others helps prepare us to finish the journey as Christ.
pp. 313-314 – When we die it is just; when Christ died it was unjust.
p. 315 – All must learn to be gods by experience, and attain to the resurrection;
- God’s patience is infinite;
- Mankind has all eternity to work out salvation;
- Merely getting into heaven is the death;
- Eternal life is to endure to the end, worlds without end.
p. 316 – It was only after His resurrection Christ claimed all power in heaven and in earth.
pp. 316-321 – Priests after the order of His Son.
p. 321 – Christ has been a part of many cycles of creation.
pp. 322-323 – Endless cycle, worlds without end, nothing is lost.
pp. 323-327 – Trinitarian commas by John Gilbert uninspired.
p. 327 – Abinadi – subjecting our will to be one with Them.
p. 327 – When Christ subjected Himself to the will of the Father, He was in very deed, thought, and action, “The Father”–though flesh and blood living among us. They were “one.” If you behold Christ, you would see the image of His Father. This is how the Father “dwelleth” in the Son.
p. 328 – The Holy Spirit is Christ’s spirit, is the Father’s spirit, and its Their Mind dwelling in us.
p. 329 – Christ is the Only Begotten of the Father;
- Christ, who redeems us, becomes our Father;
- This is the way we become sons and daughters of God;
- Christ is the Only Begotten, and He begets many sons and daughters.
p. 329 – “I HAVE BEEN SENT AND GOD IS PROVING YOU.”
pp. 329-330 – True messengers come seeming to be just another one of the itinerant preachers, of whom there are many pretenders.
pp. 330-331 – The Father declares what is right and true and the Son obeys; Do what God asks, this is how we must worship Him.
p. 329 – Christ was very ordinary.
p. 331 – Christ can mend what is broken.
pp. 331-332 – Knowledge is power, therefore it can bring vanity, pride, and abuse.
p. 332 – Knowledge must be acted upon.
p. 332-333 – Authority figures rarely believe.
p. 333 – Christ had no beauty;
- Denver is sent by Him;
- Denver is not doing this for attention.
pp. 334-335 – Isaiah 53:1-10 exposition: Despised and rejected.
p. 335 – Broken heart from: discomfort, uncertainty, contradictions, and struggles; agony, anguish and delay…then He will enter, then He will speak.
p. 335 – It pleased the Father to see Christ oppressed, afflicted, and slaughtered, because the death of the Lamb will heal the destruction.
pp. 336-338 – Atonement: Christ overcame sin with love (see “Come, Let Us Adore Him“).
pp. 338-339 – Christ is “in all things.”
p. 339 – We borrow from Christ through cycles of creation until we attain to the resurrection of the dead.
p. 339 – Christ is not experimenting but knows what to do and how to do it;
- He intends to save everthing;
- By saving, He will allow it to continue on its course of development.
p. 341 – Captivation comes from ignorance.
pp. 341-342 – Mankind has preserved incomplete records
p. 342 – The gospel is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
pp. 342-343 – Christ defines redemption as coming back into His presence.
pp. 343-344 – Descending again into mortality is not possible for Christ. He will return again in glory.
p. 345 – “More righteous” doesn’t mean sinless, but righteous enough to hear true messengers.
- The word of God comes only when He is the author of it.
p. 346 – God invites us to see the world of glory while in the flesh. Denver: “I have been to that world of glory. I have abided in his presence. I know things not lawful to be uttered.”
p. 346 – Religion is deeply personal and individually redemptive.
p. 347 – Instead of meeting Him, it is easier in our pride to study God as a subject, but never change our hearts. It is possible to be a respected authority without ever knowing Him.
- Christ had access to the Spirit in a degree none of us can equal to fulfill his responsibilities.
- Joseph Smith’s revelations and sermons are true.
p. 348 – Denver can testify of Christ. Christ came to lift all creation. Trust that. Receive Him. It may start slowly. He will come.
Chapter 9 (A Broken Heart and a Contrite Spirit)
p. 349 – Everything done by the higher priesthood is an ordinance.
p. 350 – God’s wrath is manifested by simply withdrawing.
p. 351 – God’s intimidating presence does not drive all men away.
pp. 351-352 – Baptisms for the living continued but baptisms for the dead were rejected as a church.
p. 352 – “Honor” means an empowered promise from the Lord that can be claimed in the afterlife.
p. 353 – “Glory” means intelligence.
p. 353 – Man’s freedom to choose and God’s right to accept and ordain.
pp. 354-355 – “Order of the church” for revelation contradicts scriptural injunction for all to teach the doctrines of the kingdom.
p. 355 – Quorums supposed to be equal in authority.
pp. 355-356 – Restoration incomplete. Nauvoo failure.
pp. 356-357 – Angles have the duty to educate and prepare man to behold God’s glory.
p. 358 – Those who receive and entertain angels have an obligation to declare their words, so that others may have faith in Him.
p. 358 – Aaronic priesthood condemns.
p. 360 – Our greatest sin is ignorance.
p. 360 – Moroni describes the Lord who, after passing through the thundering and lightning, you will behold.
p. 361 – Moroni asks us to seek for grace. Christ can’t give it to us unless we seek for it.
pp. 361-362 – Jealousy and envy go together, and envy is condemned.
p. 362 – Two primary emotions: love and fear.
p. 362 – Joseph Smith may’ve taken the authority with him when he died, but he blessed others using the priesthood.
p. 363 – Disconnect from this world and connect with heaven;
- Let God occupy the central priority. This does not require you to neglect your family nor your labors.
- We prepare and then wait for His visit. He is in charge.
p. 363-366 – The brother of Jared’s faith.
p. 366 – Our righteousness is pseudo-righteousness at best; Pseudo-virtues deeply offensive to God:
- Rising to honor a religious man;
- Considering “swear words” is taking the Lord’s name in vain.
p. 366 – Much of our justified guilt is a gift to bring us the humility to come to God;
- Weaknesses of the flesh will not last into the resurrection;
- Righteousness includes accepting God’s chastening;
- Joseph Smith and Liberty Jail: The Lord’s reasons to end self-pity.
p. 367 – The only way to prove some things is to destroy them;
- The test is mortality itself, with our eventual coming death;
- That is the great end to this probation.
p. 367 – The brother of Jared didn’t ask for a light show, he asked out of charity and intercession.
p. 367 – Mankind directs much abuse and disappointments towards God.
p. 368 – Reason the brother of Jared obtained faith to see the finger of the Lord is 15 stones were touched and miraculously emitted light. On the last he obtained the faith to see (16th).
p. 368 – The brother of Jared felt he intruded where men should not go when he found out the great secret that the Lord had a body “like flesh and blood”; he felt convicted it was something man should not know.
p. 369 fn. – When the Lord’s finger touched the stones He descended into a more coarse form to make the required contact and impart the power.
p. 369 – Contact required knowing, not merely believing, about the attributes of God as mentioned in the Lectures on Faith.
p. 369 – God cannot establish a covenant with one who doubts.
p. 369 – The foundation of the world required someone to redeem it before it could be created.
p. 369 – All the redeemed become sons and daughters of Christ as he gives their lives back to them, and through Him.
p. 370 – Soul as body and spirit, compared to 3 different states like solid, liquid, and gas; Difference is temperature, or “quickening.”
p. 371 – Up to that point, no man’s heart had been better prepared than the brother of Jared’s;
- Adam saw the Lord of glory at Adam-ondi-Ahman;
- The brother of Jared saw the pre-existent Lord as a soul as tangible as man’s;
- The Lord ministered to him by condescending from his quickened and glorified state.
p. 372 – Christ’s ministry continues today.
p. 373 – Standing in the presence of a just and holy being makes our weaknesses obvious;
- Our difficulties are like an anvil we cannot carry that we are to pray for God to come and lift.
p. 374 – Joseph was killed by a conspiracy of church members and an outside mob;
- 3 or 4 generations required to pass away when Joseph was killed before God’s work would resume.
- “I can declare to you in the name of our Lord that the day of salvation has once again arrived when God’s work among men will now continue.”
pp. 374-376 – King Lamoni’s example.
p. 376 – The father with the tormented son’s example.
p. 377 – Since faith as a grain of mustard seed is sufficient many times, its something else that blocks us: pride and vanity, such that we don’t cry unto Him.
pp. 377-378 – God’s word should be enough for us to believe.
p. 378 – The battle is the Lord’s – David and Goliath.
p. 379 – David’s five stones – we all face down our insecurities.
p. 379 – One said he would give away all his sins to know God. That is a bargain worth making, and keeping. We can make that bargain, also.
pp. 379-380 – The Lord will vindicate His promise of visiting for many in the last moments of life;
- Alvin saw the Lord before death;
- Stephen did also;
- St. Francis of Assisi saw angels before death.
pp. 380 – 381 – Purity: Publican vs. Sinner;
- Denver is a weak servant and he is the only invitation we will get.
pp. 381-383 – INSTRUCTIONS ON PRAYER: LOOK UP AND SPEAK ALOUD;
- Let your neck bear up your head properly;
- Don’t have an iron neck and a brass brow.
Chapter 10 (Marriage and Family)
p. 385 – Adam and Eve together are the image of God.
p. 385 – Without marriage, you cannot be “good” in the sense used by God.
p. 386 – Heavenly Mother’s role is hidden for wise purposes.
pp. 386-387 – The Divine Mother is named Eve; Adam named her daughter Eve, too.
pp. 387-388 – All the promises regarding marriage require a husband with a wife, i.e. pass by the angels together.
p. 389 – Art of persuasion in the family.
pp. 389-390 – As soon as the spirit of the Lord withdraws another spirit steps in. This false spirit undertakes to assure us that we are right to abuse our authority.
pp. 390-391 – Children have the right to choose.
pp. 391-393 – Sacrifice & repentance introduced to Adam & Eve.
pp. 393-394 – Adam’s baptism.
p. 394 – There is no place for same-sex marriage because such a union cannot fulfill the commandment to multiply and replenish the earth.
pp. 395-396 – The role of the man is “knowledge;” The role of the woman is “wisdom.”
pp. 398-401 – Teach children.
p. 400 – “Curse words” are not breaking the commandments.
pp. 401-402 – Make your home a temple.
pp. 403-404 – “One Mighty and Strong” should be our family.
pp. 404-406 – Melchizedek & Binding Covenants vs. Good Practice w/Remnants.
pp. 406-408 – Plural marriage & D&C 132.
pp. 408-409 – Brother of Jared example, “It should be apparent the subject the Lord is asked about does not necessarily limit what the Lord can reveal in His answer.”
pp. 409-410 – Eternal marriage (between a man and a woman).
p. 410 – When women are authorized to anoint; Christ’s anointing example.
p. 410 – Washing & anointing promises to preserve functions of the body in the resurrection.
p. 410 – The temple anointings give an expectation for eternity (see LofF L7);
- Ratified by Holy Spirit of Promise;
- Receive our own covenants, not mimic covenants given to others.
p. 411 – Christ alone ordains what endures beyond death.
p. 412 fn. 1103 – Marriage covenant is obtained in the second estate where there are risks.
pp. 412-413 – Eternity is protected from weakness. All evil and excess should come to an end here.
p. 413 – Newly organized spirits are created by those who have become perfect, pure, holy, and like God.
pp. 413-414 – POLYGAMY – THIS PRACTICE MUST END & BOTH MEN & WOMEN HAVE BEEN WARNED.
pp. 414-415 – Adultery condemned.
p. 416 – If already in a plural marriage, do not take another wife, and do not abandon any wife you presently have. The children should be taught to end this practice…
pp. 417-419 – Brigham Young vs. 1835 D&C Article on Marriage; Hyrum Smith letter to church.
p. 421 – Adam and Eve were treated equally by the Lord, they lived their lives as one.
p. 422 – Joseph left a ritual testimony about Christ’s gospel, He left the rituals incomplete, and they are merely an invitation, not an end in itself.
Chapter 11 (Cutting Down the Tree of Life to Build a Wooden Bridge) (p. 423)
p. 423 – Religion is only redemptive if it is pure.
pp. 423-424 – Two stages of religion:
- Restoration where God reveals Himself to man;
- Man worships God according to the last visit with inadequacy, i.e. apostasy.
p. 424 – God wants to reconnect with us;
- We remain connected through continual restoration
- Organizations can only imitate God’s involvement
- Family organizations
- Apostasy is the rule, restoration the exception
p. 423 fn. – Apocalypse texts of Abraham, Moses, Isaiah.
p. 425 – Institutions cannot control God.
p. 425 fn. – Oliver Cowdery charge to apostles vs. Joseph Fielding Smith denial quote.
p. 425 – St. Francis of Assisi lived the ideal inside an institutional church and was visited by an angle on Sept. 14, 1224.
p. 426 – Reformers vs. Mormon denominations;
- Faith does not pause between restoration & apostasy, there is no statis;
- For institutions, pragmatic choices become policy first, then doctrine;
- God’s silence does not curtail men propounding doctrine, but often provokes it.
pp. 426-427 – Gutenburg’s Press : Catholicism :: The Internet : Mormonism.
pp. 427-430 – Catholic Dominican “Dogs of God” compared to LDS “Strengthening the Members Committee.”
pp. 430-431 – LDS evasive language & LDS version of “salvation for all.”
pp. 431-442 – To win protection under the First Amendment, it was necessary to portray plural wives as essential to the religion, which it was not;
- It was the inconsistency of society’s reaction, a generation of adulterer’s who wanted to make polygamy illegal, that Brigham Young rightly condemned.
p. 443 – John Taylor revelation does not mention plural wives.
pp. 444-445 – Wilford Woodruff revelation about priesthood concessions.
p. 448 – Church holdings currently.
p. 449 fn. – Possible reasons to attribute priesthood ban for blacks to Joseph Smith;
- Joseph Smith was clearly against interracial marriage between whites and blacks.
p. 449 – In context, early Mormonism was more racially tolerant than the nation at large.
pp. 449-459 – Brigham Young rhetoric that the curse on the seed of Cain was to protect the right to priesthood and prevent intermarriage…to Pres. Kimball’s declaration in the absence of revelation in the presence of societal pressure.
pp. 459-465 – Homosexuality is another topic that evidences how quickly the LDS Church changes its doctrine based on social pressure and legal trends.
pp. 465-473 – Justification for ordaining women laid in arguments by Dallin Oaks with authority borrowed from key-holders;
- p. 468 fn. Holocaust of aborted babies designed, in part, to target an unwanted population.
pp. 473-474 – LDS Mormonism claims it will roll forth and grind to dust all other institutions, yet U.S. culture has been grinding away at LDS Mormonism’s peculiar doctrines.
pp. 474-475 – Possible reasons:
- The teachings were falsely portrayed in the first place and were never saving “doctrines” at all (God’s silence led the LDS Church to oversell their teachings);
- Some (or all) of what they taught was right and required to save mankind, but because of legal and cultural demands LDS Mormonism has been cutting down the Tree of Life to build a wooden bridge for acceptance.
p. 475 – Holy people must practice the pure ideals of the religion in a non-corporate form to avoid a change in the ideas. Ideas need to be remembered.